What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Updating existing Traffic Sensors

Votes:

I have a standard SNMP Traffic Sensor defined for a Cisco Port-Channel / Etherchannel. I have just upgraded this port-channel from a 2 member / 2 Gbps to a 3 member / 3Gbps port-channel. I can already tell that the sensors name did not update to reflect a new interface description, which is fine, but will the sensor itself auto-adjust to the new speed? In MRTG we had to manually update our interface each time we incremented the interfaces connection speed. I need to make sure I am able to preserve my existing historical data for this interface.

bandwidth prtg8 sensor

Created on Nov 11, 2010 2:10:58 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

there is nothing that you need to change in PRTG.

Are you using SNMP v1 or v2?

Created on Nov 11, 2010 6:09:04 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Paessler, I am running the latest version (v8.2.1.1931) and just upgraded a single 1Gbps Cisco Port-Channel / Ether-Channel to 2Gbps by adding another 1GigE member. My Speed Trigger alerts are working correctly, but the graph is not scaling to the new 2Gbps total capacity. To answer the previous response I am using SNMPv2. I believe this is a regression from previous builds, can you confirm?

Created on Feb 15, 2011 5:22:16 PM

Votes:

The graph should be scaling accordingly if there is actual traffic of the new speed.

Created on Feb 15, 2011 5:34:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The graph did not scale appropriately. I have a historical log (graph & table) to prove it. Should I open a support ticket for this?

Created on Feb 15, 2011 5:41:16 PM

Votes:

Please do so.

Created on Feb 15, 2011 5:49:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.