What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to define custom fields on the nodes?

Votes:

We would like to register some values on the nodes like serial number, physical location etc. I know there is a note field but it will get messy if we register all the information there.

custom fields prtg

Created on Nov 11, 2010 8:20:00 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In the PRTG web interface, there is a Location field for probes (also cluster and remote probes), groups, and devices, which is also used for showing devices on Google Maps via the GeoMaps feature. All other information can be written into the Comments tab of each object.

Sorry, there is no option to add any custom fields. Note: Comments can be used in notifications via placeholders.

Created on Nov 12, 2010 10:30:24 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 12, 2010 10:33:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Do you plan on adding support for this in the future?

Created on Nov 12, 2010 10:45:09 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid there are no plans to add such field in near future releases, as we have a quite good "replacement" with the Comments-tab (with a little bit of formating line breaks you can surely avoid a "mess").

Created on Nov 12, 2010 3:45:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, how about something like the management-URL (in german "Verwaltungs-URL") to link to a customer (intranet) information-website, like a sharepoint-site or a wiki or something? This will make it possible to connect to external information-databases.

Created on Nov 12, 2010 5:04:12 PM

Votes:

Using the Windows GUI, you can define your own Tools links (available from an object's context menu).

More information: Windows GUI: Options and Server Settings—Tools

However, these links will only be available from within the Windows GUI, not in the web interface.

Created on Nov 15, 2010 9:52:59 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 15, 2010 9:55:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

I think the creation of custom fields would make the software more complete.

The note field is fine, but it will get messy over time.

the suggestion regarding url to other system containing information about the nodes is a good suggestion, and i guess i could make a webservice for our inventory system that can be used to pull information from our inventory db.

The annoying part of this case is that there is very little functionality that needs to be put in PRTG before we could use it in all apects. The only thing lacking as far as i can see is the functionality to store more information on the nodes.

So my wishlist is as following:

The functionality to create custom fields of type:

• Text
  • Int
  • Boolean

The ability to set different type on the fields is secondary, the main thing is custom text fields.

You can close the case

Created on Nov 15, 2010 2:12:37 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.