What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using tags in HTML request

Votes:

I need to post xml to a webpage to get a result. But I'm not allowed to enter the XML POST data, because it contains < and >.

Is there a way around this?

http tags xml

Created on Nov 12, 2010 10:22:51 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

To answer my own question. I also escaped all spaces.. so %3c, %3e en %20 for the spaces. And that worked with the GET.-

Created on Nov 15, 2010 3:38:51 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

could you please drop a few more details? Are you referring to HTTP Sensors in PRTG? To the PRTG API?

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 12, 2010 1:41:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, does it work, when you encode the special characters as &lt; for < and &gt; for >?

Created on Nov 12, 2010 4:53:17 PM

Votes:

I'll try to supply more info, the sensor I'm trying to configure is a HTTP sensor in PRTG.

I'm trying to access a webpage called http:/some.link/xmllink.asp I need to either POST or GET xml data to it in this form. In simplified form:

XMLDATA=<?xml version="1.0"?><OadBookingRequest>Data</OadBookingRequest>

I've tried using &lt; and &gt;. I've also tried to use %3c and %3e.

The error message I get is:

The validation of the data provided failed due to the following:
Postdata: Character sequences ('&lt;...&gt;') which can potentially form a tag are not allowed here

Is there perhaps some DontBlamePRTG registry setting, so I can use < and > in my Postdata?

Created on Nov 15, 2010 9:19:31 AM

Last change on Nov 15, 2010 10:36:23 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

To answer my own question. I also escaped all spaces.. so %3c, %3e en %20 for the spaces. And that worked with the GET.-

Created on Nov 15, 2010 3:38:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.