What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How does PRTG Network Monitor work

Votes:

I have a client that is using PRTG Network Monitor. Each time the monitor fires, I get a 10053 error from a socket- i have 4 listening sockets active, and at the moment I am not sure which one. I am trying to track down what is happening, and I am looking for a technical description of what you are doing.

prtg sockets windows

Created on Nov 16, 2010 9:51:52 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid this is not very precise. What do you mean by 'each time the monitor fires'? Which sensors are used? Where do you get the 10053 error? In PRTG? Which version of PRTG is being used?

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 16, 2010 4:12:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am supporting our software - the error message is coming from our software. The client is using a "port sensor". I am trying to figure out what you are doing that is causing the 10053 error in our software.

Created on Nov 17, 2010 9:26:48 AM

Votes:

a PRTG Port sensor tries a TCP connection to the selected port on the host.

socker error code 10053 is

Software caused connection abort.

An established connection was aborted by the software in your host computer, possibly due to a data transmission time-out or protocol error.

Created on Nov 17, 2010 9:52:59 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.