What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Bandwidth Sensor limit line

Votes:

I have a need to setup a line on a bandwidth sensor that shows the limit of that particular link. I remember it being possible in the older versions of PRTG, but have not had any success finding where to set this up in 8.1.2.1776.

bandwidth prtg sensor

Created on Nov 16, 2010 9:22:25 PM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This is possible using a sensor factory sensor.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg8/sensor_factory_sensor.htm

see the Horizontal Lines section

Created on Nov 17, 2010 6:20:48 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi All

I just found your article about the limit line, I have to do the same for the bandwidh sensor to mark the max. available bandwidth.

Does I understand it correctly, that I need the original SNMP sensor below the device which is for the source and than an additional one created as a factory sensor which inherits the data from the first one plus the limit line? Means the user will se both of them? Is it not possible to add this line directly in the first SNMP sensor?

If this is not possible, would that be something you can take on a feature request list for a next version?

Thank you Markus Albisser

Created on Oct 26, 2012 5:28:44 AM

Votes:

Dear all

I have to add such as a limit line as well.

Did I get it correctly, to realize a limit line, I need two sensors below one device. First the original SNMP sensor which records the bandwidth and then second the factory sensor which inherits the values from the first sensor plus where I now can add the limit line? If yes, the customer can see both sensors?

If my assumption is correct, would it be a feature request to add a limit line as an additional setting within a sensor, as you had it in the previous versions from the traffic grapher?

Thank you Markus Albisser

Created on Oct 26, 2012 5:52:08 AM

Votes:

at the moment you need a sensor factory sensor, yes.

To make this available in the original sensor is already on our wish list.

Created on Oct 26, 2012 6:55:04 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK thanks. Would be great if this line can be implemented soon, it would help to read a chart in a more comfortable way.

Created on Nov 8, 2012 6:28:39 AM

Votes:

Hello,

is there any solution in newer versions? Putting a red limit line in a bandwidth sensor would help many of my customers!

Created on Jul 6, 2021 9:46:34 AM

Votes:

Hello,

in case only one channel is shown in the graph, the channel limits are used to color the background. Otherwise, the sensor factory is the only option.

Adding more settings to the channel would make it more complex to use. As of now, demand is not high enough to justify more settings here.

Created on Jul 7, 2021 2:16:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.