What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Events not registering in PRTG eventlog sensor

Votes:

I have set up an eventlog sensor to check the application log for events from source backup. I have then simulated a failure to put an error in the event log of the target server. However, PRTG does not always register the event. I know the sesnor is configured correctly, as it works sometimes, but does not work all the time - often missing several events before finally catching one.

The target server is running 2008 R2 and the sensor is the WMI eventlog sensor.

event problem wmi

Created on Nov 17, 2010 4:23:31 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

which exact version of PRTG do you use? Do you have any filter set in the Eventlog-Sensor in PRTG?

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2010 5:30:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are using 8.1.0.1628

The sensor has one filter by source. I was looking for 'Backup' as the filter but may have fixed it by adding '%Backup%' instead even though that should not be necessery.

I have not had chance to test this on other servers but it seems to be working on the test sensor.

Created on Nov 18, 2010 12:17:17 PM

Votes:

Dear Tim,

please also consider updating to the latest PRTG 8 release, it might be that there was a minor bug fixed on the Event-Log sensors since 8.1.0.

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 18, 2010 5:07:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.