What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sort device and groups alphabetical?

Votes:

Is it possible too sort device and groups alphabetical?

groups prtg8 sensor

Created on Nov 22, 2010 10:36:50 AM

Last change on Nov 22, 2010 2:13:21 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sort of an old question, but I don't see any answer here to here goes mine: Actually this can be from the PRTG Network Monitor web interface. Navigate to the respective group you want to sort -> right click -> "Sort Alphabetically". The group will be immediately sorted in the web interface, and will take less that 5 minutes to be reflected in the Enterprise Console.

Not as good as having the sort directly in the Enterprise Console but much better than drag&drop sorting.

Created on Feb 19, 2013 5:51:36 AM

25 Replies

Votes:

There is no option to sort automatically by name. However, using the Windows GUI you can easily use drag'n'drop to sort the objects in your configuration.

Created on Nov 22, 2010 2:15:57 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Dragging and Dropping isn;t feasible when you could have 1000s of sensors. Will automatic sort be available in future releases?

Created on Mar 15, 2011 10:14:42 AM

Votes:

Agree that sort alphabetically would be a very handy feature. It's a real pain when you add a device to a group that might contain 50 devices and you want them displayed alphabetically.

Created on Apr 5, 2011 10:51:00 PM

Votes:

Yes, please add us to the request for alphabetical sorting of sensors, devices and groups as well.

Created on Apr 21, 2011 1:35:00 PM

Votes:

we will put it on the wish list.

Created on Apr 24, 2011 5:50:58 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has there been any movement on this yet, it sort planned in any future releases?

Created on Oct 20, 2011 8:36:12 AM

Votes:

Has there been any movement? I just manually added 112 devices to a group, and I need them sorted alphabetically. Up to version 6 this was possible. Is it possible yet?

Created on Nov 26, 2011 8:59:08 AM

Votes:

Yeah please add sorting. It could even be an option setting for those of us that want sorting. I think it would really help out with those of us that have lots of sensors on each device.

Created on Jan 9, 2012 6:31:56 PM

Votes:

I would appreciate a way to sort alphabetically, too!

Created on Feb 20, 2012 9:53:07 AM

Votes:

I would like to add my vote for this feature as well!

Created on Feb 22, 2012 10:08:27 PM

Votes:

Drag and drop doesn't work in the Enterpriese Console (version 9.2)...

Otherwise I'd like to to chime in to this feature request

Created on Feb 27, 2012 3:39:27 PM

Votes:

Has there been any movement on the sort option yet?

Created on Mar 13, 2012 8:40:41 AM

Votes:

Hi,
we are planning a sort function, but no release date has been determined yet.
Best regards

Created on Mar 13, 2012 12:53:55 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Certainly would be a useful feature for us as we also have hundreds of sites and it would take forever to drag and drop.

Created on May 28, 2012 1:18:42 PM

Votes:

Yes please this would be very handy..

Created on Jul 5, 2012 6:13:55 PM

Votes:

Would you please provide a date for the Sort function, we have been asking for this for a couple of years now.

Created on Sep 7, 2012 10:29:13 AM

Votes:

Hi,
we cannot provide a release date as there is none determined yet. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on Sep 7, 2012 10:31:55 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sort of an old question, but I don't see any answer here to here goes mine: Actually this can be from the PRTG Network Monitor web interface. Navigate to the respective group you want to sort -> right click -> "Sort Alphabetically". The group will be immediately sorted in the web interface, and will take less that 5 minutes to be reflected in the Enterprise Console.

Not as good as having the sort directly in the Enterprise Console but much better than drag&drop sorting.

Created on Feb 19, 2013 5:51:36 AM

Votes:

We're just rolling out a 1000 sensor license for PRTG 13.x

You can sort within a group but we really want to sort from the root of the device tree so all the Remote Probes are in alphabetical order. Having to spend more time creating libraries seems a waste of time.

Created on Feb 26, 2013 12:23:57 PM

Votes:

Remote Probes need to be sorted manually, sorry, but you can do this with the Right-Click Context Menu on a Probe to move it up/down.

Created on Feb 26, 2013 3:17:38 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is automatic sorting of Remote Probes on the road-map / wishlist? The post from Apr 24 2011 says it will be put on the wish list but that was two years ago. I appreciate you get all manner of requests.

I expect us to end with up 40+ remote probes, so manually sorting each time we add a new one is a pain.

Created on Mar 5, 2013 1:40:56 PM

Votes:

We are currently testing this and will be able to provide a solution as soon as this works in a stable manner.

Created on Mar 12, 2013 2:21:28 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I would also like to chime in support for this. We have 300+ remote probes. I attempted moving one that started with an "A" from the bottom to the top and it takes several minutes of scrolling both in the desktop UI and the web UI to get it to the top, and sometimes it gets lost along the way. It just isn't feasible to hand-sort that many probes.

Looking forward to this feature...

Created on Apr 1, 2013 10:10:57 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Has sorting for Remote Probes even been resolved or even confirmed? It seems something was planned for 18 months ago...

It's getting quite a drag manually moving new probes up the device tree, even with only 60 remote probes.

Created on Oct 2, 2014 11:09:08 AM

Votes:

Chris, only Groups and devices (in Groups or Probes) can be sorted automatically. Sorting on the Root-Level (meaning Probes) is not available. Please use manual sorting Drag & Drop on the Management-Tab instead.

Created on Oct 6, 2014 7:43:50 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 6, 2014 7:43:58 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.