What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does PRTG Network Monitor snmp v3 support hmac-md5, authenication type?

Votes:

Does PRTG Network Monitor snmp v3 support hmac-md5 and hmac-sha, authenication type?

ibm prtg snmpv3

Created on Nov 26, 2010 5:48:59 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

PRTG supports SHA and MD5 encryption for SNMP V3.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 11:48:31 AM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

I have PRTG v5 and i'm installing a PRTG v9.

In v5 i have many devices running snmpv3 just with authentication and no encryption, and i cannot run them on v9.

I just can get it to work if i add the encryption. Is there any limitation on v9 that i cannot have snmpv3 without encryption? They work fine on PRTG v5.

Thank You,

Created on Dec 14, 2011 3:01:48 PM

Votes:

Have you tried entering no DES (Data Encryption Key)?

Created on Dec 14, 2011 3:48:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

That is precisely what i'm doing! I just can get it to work if i add the encryption, but in v5 i have snmpv3 without encryption, and they work fine. I'm wondering if i just can get it to work in v9 if i have both authentication and encryption. Do you have any idea about limitations on this subject?

Thank You,

Created on Dec 16, 2011 2:50:22 PM

Votes:

Does it work with the SNMP Tester (https://www.paessler.com/tools/snmptester)?

Created on Dec 20, 2011 1:28:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.