What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to view all configured notification settings and thresholds?

Votes:

With multiple people administering our PRTG 8 install we've come to realize a strong need for some type of report that can show all configured notifications and thresholds on a sensor level. A basic list of all reasons someone may get a text message for instance.

With over 400 sensors, it's impossible to do this individually and ensure all sensors are configured appropriately.

Is there a way to get a list like this?

notifications prtg reports

Created on Nov 29, 2010 3:12:50 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jason,

there might actually be another way, under "Sensors"->"Cross Reference", you can get/"produce" a sensor list which will also show the notifications on sensors. Maybe this is better?

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 5:09:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

14 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid such a 'report' is not really available. You could try using the "Used By"-Button on the notifications, maybe this helps a bit.

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 4:21:10 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That could be a help under certain circumstances, but it still requires we dig down into each sensor for latency and threshold information etc...

With such an active development, would this be considered for a future update? It seems this could be a fairly easy to create 'report'. I would even be happy with a notification setting export of some sort.

This could be a point of contention on expanded use by our company and really want to come up with a solution.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 5:02:29 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jason,

there might actually be another way, under "Sensors"->"Cross Reference", you can get/"produce" a sensor list which will also show the notifications on sensors. Maybe this is better?

Best Regards.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 5:09:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is closer, yes. It would be perfect if instead of saying 'inherited' or '# threshold' it listed the actual notifications. Thank you for looking into this further. These two options will have to do for the time being.

Created on Nov 29, 2010 6:39:05 PM

Votes:

Is there anyway to do this now that 4 years have passed?

Created on Oct 9, 2014 9:47:26 PM

Votes:

Due to the very low requests on this, it was not implemented so far. I did count your post as a vote though. Please bear with us.

Created on Oct 13, 2014 12:03:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 View the actual Notifications / Thresholds instead of inherited / # threshold

Created on Jun 5, 2015 12:41:34 PM

Votes:

+1

We would also appreciate a possibility to get a list as discribed by Jason Daemon in his primary post (which gives more information than the list shown via "Sensors"->"Cross Reference").

Is it possible to achieve this with the help of the API? I found the parameter "columns=notifiesx", but I think it gives the same data as the cross reference list. I tried the following:

https://<prtg-server>/api/table.xml?content=sensors&id=<123>&columns=notifiesx

Did I miss something?

Kind regards

Created on Nov 2, 2015 3:33:24 PM

Votes:

Here's a nice tool to retrieve the current channel limits:
http://prtgtoolsfamily.com/us/products/tools/channellimits

However, it doesn't show the notification correlation.

Created on Nov 4, 2015 7:44:42 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 4, 2015 7:44:49 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What do you want exactly to change? would you please specify your request, we can build a custom script to do what you want?

Created on Feb 16, 2016 9:04:46 PM

Votes:

+1 for this. It would be really useful to see at a glance all enabled notifications.

Created on Sep 26, 2016 3:00:26 PM

Votes:

A lot of time have passed but for me the original request from this thread is still actual.

I was able to generate PS script to pull from API following list of attributes: Group;Device;DeviceID;Sensor;SensorID;Channel;ChannelID;LowerWarningLimit;LowerErrorLimit;UpperWarningLimit;UpperErrorLimit and what I still miss is Notification ID, NotificationType,NotificationName,NotificationDelay,NotificationClear - or at least any subset of these.

The business target for these is as it was already written before - for dozen of active users there should be a way to have a helicopter view of what was configured in the Notifications area and to spot irregularities and missing notifications for devices of sensors.

Created on Jun 19, 2018 10:13:44 AM

Votes:

The way we store this information doesn't make it easy to read it, I admit. Could you provide your script so I can extend it accordingly to have what you require (well, at least that what I'm able to add)?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 19, 2018 11:47:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This would be of use to me as well, having something that you can load into excel so you can filter etc to check that the same sensor on multiple devices are all configured the same. and maybe an indicator if the sensor property shown is inherited or local to that sensor.

Created on Jun 25, 2018 4:58:11 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.