What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need to know special characters for API

Votes:

I've been having some problems with some scripts using WGET to rename, searches ( yes I know many ways around what's not present in the actual API folder ) and additions and remove.

After testing various things out I realized when looking at the device's information that it's got it's own special characters. I need to know what they all are in order to covert the information over and not run into problems in the future.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

1. 1. Hello! I'm #1 & so are you!
  2. 2. Hello!+I'm+%231+%26+so+are+you!
  1. 1 is the plain text name of a device while #2 is it's actual value in it's settings. Spaces convert to +, # converts to %230 and & converts to %26.

api prtg special-characters

Created on Dec 1, 2010 8:46:11 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jeremy,

this is 'normal' HTTP-/URL-Encoding, which actually is only used with GET/POST-Parameters. Which URL do you use or want to use?

Best Regards.

Created on Dec 3, 2010 1:54:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, doing web search for the actual converted %whatever came up with nothing useful and since this isn't how HTML handed special characters I figured it was proprietary. I will find the reference for URL encoding elsewhere, again, thanks!

Created on Dec 3, 2010 6:02:30 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.