What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

API for creating a group and user?

Votes:

About a month ago I looked into trying to figure out how I could automate creating user and group accounts but I had little luck figuring it out. I want to be able to automate the creation of a user and group then move specified devices into that group ( the last part I can do ). As doing this manually is very time consuming.

I've figured out several ways to search and do various other commands out of the API itself but this one is a bit too complex so far and I've since moved on to other projects ( like taking the snapshot data and importing the main info I need to do massive operations into PHP so it can be used to say, remove duplicates and move them into their appropriate groups ).

So if anyone has figure this out let me know.

api automation prtg user

Created on Dec 1, 2010 8:54:47 PM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jeremy,

I'm afraid user-creation is simply not possible with PRTGs API.

Best regards.

Created on Dec 2, 2010 1:13:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Since it's not possible using the built in APIs, has anyone figured out how to do it despite the API?

Much like I know how to do searches and a few other non API functions.

Created on Dec 2, 2010 3:52:34 PM

Votes:

Any luck on this, there's any way to automate user creation?. I have to create around 200+ user and group accounts, and then assign their sensors, so it would be of greate help.

Maybe manually editing a config file or something? even with the risks involved?

Thanks in advance.

Created on Jan 20, 2011 2:43:43 PM

Votes:

Any plans to add this ability to the API? If now any workaround to do this directly into the database?

Created on Sep 27, 2018 5:43:07 PM

Votes:

Currently there are no plans to add this functionality I'm afraid.

Created on Sep 28, 2018 8:18:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Today I wrote a script for that. It uses the API but that part isn't documented.

The code probably isn't to great but it get's the job done.

https://github.com/noaboa97/PrtgAPI-Scripts/blob/main/Functions/New-PrtgUsergroup.ps1

Created on Sep 22, 2021 3:37:49 PM

Votes:

I would like to see a proper maintain API for manipulating user/groups/... Just reading access would be a huge improvement to the custom/hacky version found here on the KB

Created on May 25, 2022 11:11:53 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.