What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I use PRTG to monitor the health of servers?

Votes:

I'm testing PRTG right now and it is working really well. My question is can I monitor the health of servers (like hdd health, network connectivity, etc..)? Right now I am using Nagios to do that but if I can consolidate my programs into one program that would be great. I see that there are sensors that will do that but they are only available for the local probe. I guess my question is can I create more local probes?

local-probes prtg sensors

Created on Dec 2, 2010 7:58:18 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

this depends on the kind of servers you want to monitor. For Windows servers , for example, there are lots of WMI Sensors.

So what kind of servers do you want to monitor?

Created on Dec 3, 2010 9:49:15 AM by  Tobias Lange [Paessler Support]

Votes:

They will mostly be windows servers, but there will be a VMware server as well. I don't think I can monitor the health of the vmware server.

Created on Dec 3, 2010 3:02:16 PM

Votes:

Thanks. That's all I needed to know.

Created on Dec 3, 2010 5:24:18 PM

Votes:

Dear Jason,

it depends what you would consider as 'health'. Monitoring VMware servers is possible (monitoring CPU and Memory for example), with a few 'appropriate' triggers or error-limits you could achieve a health-like monitoring and alerting (if CPU Load is over 90% for 15 minutes, then send out an alert, for example).

Best Regards.

Created on Dec 3, 2010 5:24:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.