What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I monitor datastore disk space on an ESX server?

Votes:

We are looking to monitor the VMFS datastores on an ESX 4.1 server. Just wondering the best way to go about this.

esx prtg vmware

Created on Dec 3, 2010 4:54:53 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Created on Feb 27, 2012 1:14:41 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 15, 2013 2:59:12 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

34 Replies

Votes:

we are already working on it.

Created on Dec 5, 2010 7:57:27 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Do we have any idea when this may be available?

Created on Dec 21, 2010 5:39:43 PM

Votes:

Any update or ETA on this? This would really be a value added prop for PRTG.

Created on Feb 24, 2011 2:18:15 PM

Votes:

Sorry, there is no update on this yet.

Created on Feb 25, 2011 7:39:28 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

any developments? Would love to be able to monitor datastores...

Created on Jun 8, 2011 1:20:39 PM

Votes:

I'm very interested too in this feature. Will be available soon?

Created on Jul 4, 2011 9:35:28 AM

Votes:

hallo,

it will be available in version 9, (end of 2011)

Created on Jul 5, 2011 5:20:38 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It works with a powershell script and vmware powercli.

http://code.google.com/p/prtg7addons/downloads/detail?name=Powershell%20Script%20-%20VI%20Free%20Datastore%20Space%20v1_0_1.zip&can=2&q=

It works fine but don´t use the .ps1 File in the zip File. Create a new one and copy the text in it.

Created on Sep 19, 2011 8:27:41 PM

Votes:

Wondering if this sensor has been added to PRTG yet or if there is a plan to add it?

Created on Feb 26, 2012 4:30:27 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Created on Feb 27, 2012 1:14:41 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 15, 2013 2:59:12 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the ESXi SSH setup and it works, thanks for adding that feature.

I would like to request that you enable monitoring VMFS datastores without using SSH directly into the ESXi host. Perhaps using Power CLI against the vCenter server. It is not a best practice to leave remote SSH enabled all the time, it is not recommended by VMWare, they recommend using Power CLI or the vMA apliace to run scripts against the environment.

"VMware recommends using the vSphere Client or any other VMware Administration Automation Product to perform routine ESXi host configuration tasks that do not involve a troubleshooting scenario. For scripting and automation, VMware recommends using the vCLI, PowerCLI, or the vSphere SDK instead of TSM."

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1017910

Created on Feb 29, 2012 4:29:05 PM

Votes:

In the moment PRTG can only use SSH to check the datastores, we do have another "alternative" in mind/on the list there, but I can't tell any details in the moment, or even an ETA. Please bear with us.

Created on Feb 29, 2012 7:55:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hello, has there been some progress on this topic? we have two vcenters (because of vmware version dependencies) with some datastores, both within ha-environment and single-host-scenarios, and I would appreciate to monitor them without the necessity of enabling ssh on every host kind regards

Created on Jan 31, 2013 1:44:37 PM

Votes:

I'm very sorry to say this, but unfortunately we did not get to this item on the list so far. Please bear with us.

Created on Jan 31, 2013 5:06:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

any chance to tell an eta? i mean you keep saying to work on this point for over two years ;) (and i believe it is not that big point) - or has this topic been dropped?

Created on Feb 1, 2013 8:19:50 AM

Votes:

As said, it has not been dropped, but I cannot give you an ETA. Sorry. 2 Years is not correct. The SSH VMWare ESX(i) Disk Sensor is available since about one year, and a lot of users are very 'happy' with it, and monitor the Datastores on their ESX(i)s.
Since then, there were two(!) requests to realize the same without SSH, so this does not have the highest priority.

Created on Feb 1, 2013 10:11:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 1, 2013 10:17:09 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You may not have many requests here because you posted a thread saying you were working on it. It is now almost 2015. Multiple other tools support Datastore monitoring out of the box through VMwares API. For security reasons we can not use a ssh session to each host to monitor them. Using the API/SOAP would be very much preferred.

Created on Dec 10, 2014 3:05:37 PM

Votes:

I could not agree with Tom234679 more. This is not acceptable, when more than a couple of clients are asking for certain functionality; it should be researched and more or less implemented. Solar Winds has this out of the box, but it has taken you 4 years to get no where with a request?

Created on Dec 10, 2014 6:13:02 PM

Votes:

thanks folks for the reminder - it's nearly been two years as i asked the last time and there has been no visible progress. sad...

Created on Dec 11, 2014 12:52:13 PM

Votes:

I have to agree. Essentially, this means I cannot monitor data stores in PRTG at all and must still check vCenter daily. In addition to SolarWinds we are evaluating some other competing products and they all seem to work just fine using the CIM interfaces and a "CIM only" user set up for just such a purpose.

For that matter I don't see any CIM-related sensors yet. Can you please advise on when we may expect these.

Created on Feb 16, 2015 5:13:03 PM

Votes:

We are close to pushing a new "VMware Datastore" Sensor, new sensor functionality and further improvements on existing VMWare Sensors into the Canary branch. If you'd like to participate in a 'beta-test' for the new Datastore sensor, please get in touch with us with an email to [email protected] and a reference to this thread/post.

Created on Feb 17, 2015 5:03:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wow, was just searching for an answer to this, and saw this. Email sent!

Created on Feb 17, 2015 5:21:48 PM

Votes:

Same here, we monitored this thread and were waiting also for another solution to monitor the Datastores directly through vCenter instead of the SSH sensor.

Created on Mar 26, 2015 2:12:08 PM

Votes:

Hey,

Please send an email to [email protected] and refer to this post.

Best regards

Created on Mar 27, 2015 1:22:00 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Its for a reason VMware disables SSH by default: Security.

Perhaps they are not aware of the fact they can poll the datastores via object browser of vCenter.

When does the new sensor arrive. Much promesses, no sensor delivered. Whats the status?

Created on Jun 9, 2015 7:06:57 AM

Votes:

Hi,

The sensor is already available and I just sent the zip file (which includes the sensor and the documentation) to your email address.

We expect the sensor to be part of the canary version shortly, as the feedback from the customers who already tried the version has been good so far.

Best regards

Created on Jun 9, 2015 7:42:46 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So what version is this going to be included in?

Created on Jul 28, 2015 9:10:59 PM

Votes:

Probably in one of the next canary versions, as Felix mentioned. Do you want me to send the beta sensor to your mail address? :)

Created on Jul 30, 2015 11:28:44 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm not familiar with what "the next canary version" means, but yes, I'd love to try the beta sensor.

Thanks, Mike

Created on Jul 30, 2015 12:39:54 PM

Votes:

You got mail :)

Created on Jul 30, 2015 12:45:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can I also have a copy of that beta sensor please?

Created on Sep 8, 2015 4:14:50 AM

Votes:

Hey Adam,

The Datastore Sensors will be part of the next stable version which will be released in the next few weeks. If you cannot await the release, just check your mailbox! :)

Best regards, Felix

Created on Sep 8, 2015 4:46:44 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Felix,

May I have a copy of that beta sensor as well please?

Created on Sep 21, 2015 12:03:23 PM

Votes:

Please check your mailbox. :)

Created on Sep 21, 2015 12:59:21 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.