What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom sensor providing legend information

Votes:

Can I create a custom sensor which provides the legend information (like the CPU sensor providing "Processor 1", "Processor 2") to graph the inside and outside temperature for one device?

The temperature values are stored in a SQL Server database. The custom sensor has to read the latest value from a view.

custom-sensor description legend temperature

Created on Dec 7, 2010 4:01:13 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

At the moment an EXE/Script sensor can only have one channel, this will be changed soon. But for the time being, you could setup three Custom Sensors and combine their values using the Sensor Factory.

[Update] In PRTG 8 you can now add an EXE/Script advanced sensor. It expects XML as return values and supports multiple channels.

Created on Dec 8, 2010 11:56:16 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 14, 2010 1:04:33 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Thomas,

on the 'Channels'-tab of the Custom Sensor, you can rename the channel from 'Value' to 'Processor 1' for example. Does this help?

Best Regards.

Created on Dec 7, 2010 4:47:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten,

this helps not really. I want to setup a custom sensor which has three channels providing the same data type (in this case a temperature), but return different values. All those temperatures refer to the same device. Because I want to visually compare those temperatures I want to have all values in one graph.

Besides that I do want to realize the following scenario: We run a SMTP proxy server which stores reporting data in a SQL database. I want to setup a device for the proxy server itself and a sensor for the reporting. The probe should have the following channels: - Count of successfully delivered emails - Count of bounced emails - Count of accepted, but not delivered emails

Can I setup a custom sensor having more than one channel (besides the Downtime channel)?

Cheers, Thomas

Created on Dec 8, 2010 8:13:01 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

At the moment an EXE/Script sensor can only have one channel, this will be changed soon. But for the time being, you could setup three Custom Sensors and combine their values using the Sensor Factory.

[Update] In PRTG 8 you can now add an EXE/Script advanced sensor. It expects XML as return values and supports multiple channels.

Created on Dec 8, 2010 11:56:16 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 14, 2010 1:04:33 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

I will update to version 8 and check the new advanced sensors.

Created on Dec 14, 2010 2:36:24 PM

Votes:

Is there a XML documentation or a custom demo sensor with XML output available?

Created on Dec 28, 2010 2:33:15 PM

Votes:

The documentation for the "XML-Exe-Sensor" is under "Setup"->"PRTG API"->"Custom Sensors", but it might not be complete in the current 8.1.x release.

Created on Dec 28, 2010 2:57:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.