What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to move a sensor to another device?

Votes:

We have multiple webservers where we host a number of different websites. We create a separate device in PRTG for each webserver and a separate http sensor for each website.

Occasionally we need to move a website from one server to another. Is there a way to move a sensor from one device to another in PRTG? I can clone the sensor, but I don't think this retains the historical data, which we'd like to keep intact.

I know we used to do this in PRTG3 by using a dropdown in the sensor settings and assigning the sensor to a different device, but this doesn't seem possible now. Am I missing something obvious?

device prtg sensor

Created on Dec 7, 2010 10:37:28 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

It's not possible to move a sensor to a different device but you can clone a sensor, which would then allow you to specify a device under which it is to be positioned.

Created on Dec 8, 2010 10:21:35 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Does cloning a sensor copy over the historical data as well?

If not, then this is not satisfactory for our purposes. We do a lot of reporting and trending based on this data and having to combine the data from two separate sensors eliminates the convenience of using PRTG in the first place.

Created on Dec 8, 2010 1:39:52 PM

Votes:

Cloning will not copy the historic data. I'm afraid this can't be changed. With the Sensor Factory however you could 'aggregate' such two sensors making them appear as one.

Created on Dec 8, 2010 4:33:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this changed since the question was answered in 2010? I have a similar situation, it would be very helpful to be able to move a sensor along with the historical data to a different device.

Created on Jul 16, 2014 3:49:43 PM

Votes:

Unfortunately because of the way that the data is stored in the PRTG database and the way that sensors are identified this is not possible and likely will not be in the future. You might be able to try and edit your configuration to use the same ID as the old sensor for the new sensor but we do not support this and cannot help if you destroy the configuration during this process but it may be possible.

Created on Jul 18, 2014 9:05:26 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.