What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to migrate PRTG from v8 (upgraded from v7) to new server

Votes:

I would like to migrate my PRTG server (w/ local probe) to a new server. I recently upgraded to 8.1.2.1810 from v7. I found the following document that mentions how to backup PRTG, but it doesn't clear say if should install PRTG8 on my new server then simply stop the services and copy the data over. Is there an official migration document I can follow. My goal is to make sure that I retain historical data (graphs) and that all of my groups, devices and sensors are migrated over. As it stands, I have copied all Program File and App Data files to a temp location on the new server that I plan to install PRTG8 on. How should I proceed?

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data

Also, is there a way to export and/or archive data from PRTG? For example, lets say I wanted to archive all data older than 12 months to keep a permenant copy. Is there a way to do this and have it remove the data to free up disk space?

migrate prtg8 upgrade

Created on Dec 10, 2010 2:54:58 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Paul,

• Yes, you can simply stop services and copy the entire data path from v7 to v8. The data format is compatible.
  • Sorry, there is no procedure to export old monitoring data to an archive. However, PRTG can store data for more than one year.

Created on Dec 10, 2010 3:08:40 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 10, 2022 1:29:01 PM by  Frank Hadasch [Paessler Support] (0) 1

Votes:

Great, thanks for the info. I will install PRTG8 on my new server, copy data from the previous server over and cross my fingers. If there are any issues, I will update this KB. Thanks!

Created on Dec 10, 2010 3:10:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.