What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Snmp Traffic sensor Threshold

Votes:

I use Snmp Traffic sensors to monitor the bandwidth and errors\discards on router interfaces. I noticed that i can't use the Threshold notification. Is there any way to create alarm for bandwidth Threshold? (for example, if I have a burst of 2mbs for 2 minutes)

Thanks

sensor snmp threshold

Created on Dec 12, 2010 7:20:32 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You may try to configure a limit on the channel for discards, traffic, etc., so if the channel reach a certain level, then the sensor itself goes to warning/error state, and then you can use state triggers for notifications.

Created on Dec 13, 2010 2:03:03 PM

14 Replies

Votes:

why can you not use the threshold notifications?

Created on Dec 13, 2010 9:47:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

On snmp traffic sensors the i can't add Threshold trigger. But I managed to do what i wanted with speed Trigger (traffic in/out). but I can't do it for the the other channel- errors, discards.

Created on Dec 13, 2010 9:56:27 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid threshold triggers for the addition channels (errors, discards, etc.) are only possible with a work-around. Either you would use the Sensor Factory to "duplicate" these channels, and then put the triggers on the Sensor Factory sensor, or you could also make the Additional Channel upon you want to set the threshold trigger, to be the Primary Channel, then the threshold triggers should be possible again. The recommended option is to use the Sensor Factory.

Created on Dec 13, 2010 12:20:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You may try to configure a limit on the channel for discards, traffic, etc., so if the channel reach a certain level, then the sensor itself goes to warning/error state, and then you can use state triggers for notifications.

Created on Dec 13, 2010 2:03:03 PM

Votes:

i hava a question about snmp Traffic sensor, could you give me OID number used in this type of sensof...

Created on May 18, 2011 9:58:08 AM

Votes:

You can see the OIDs by scanning against the target with our SNMP Tester with the option "Scan for available standard interfaces".

Created on May 18, 2011 1:51:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok in SNMP tester i see OID and value of specific OID, but in prtg if i want use snmp traffic sensor i get answer: No Such Name (SNMP error # 2), if a test a specific OID in prtg I get right answer, what is wrong?

Created on May 20, 2011 7:30:02 AM

Votes:

Are these the exact same OIDs?

Created on May 23, 2011 12:47:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I use this two OIDs: 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6, 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.10 i think this is responsible for in and out traffic in snmp trafic sensor. Snmp tester and custom snmp sensor give me right answer. But if i try add snmp traffic sensor answer is No Such Name (SNMP error # 2).

Created on May 24, 2011 8:28:11 AM

Votes:

Then these obviously aren't the OIDs for the traffic sensor, and the only way would be to use two SNMP Custom Sensors and 1 Sensor Factory to combine them.

Created on May 24, 2011 2:53:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok please give me OIDs use in snmp traffic sensor... i want use this sensor but i must unlock snmp on router i can’t unlock all of snmp library

Created on May 25, 2011 7:35:36 AM

Votes:

Once again, there are no fix OIDs for the traffic sensor. It depends which interface is monitored etc.. There is not only "the one OID" for the traffic sensor. As you have the OIDs, please use two SNMP Custom Sensors and a Sensor Factory.

Created on May 25, 2011 2:31:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 25, 2011 2:32:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok I know that you can’t give me specific oid's, but for sure you must know witch part of snmp library use that sensor I must know that for unlock snmp settings on router. Please give me information witch part of snmp library use snmp traffic sensor (for example: ifNumber, ifEntry, ifXEntry)

For your information 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6 this isn't a specific oid. This can be useful when you add .1 on end...

Created on May 26, 2011 12:26:02 PM

Votes:

Please anybody help me...

Created on May 30, 2011 11:08:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.