What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sound notification on PRTG 8.2

Votes:

Hi, Can I use Sound notification in the new version? I used it with PRTG 7 and now I need it again. The problem is that i can't see the option "play wav file" in the add notification page.

Thanks

alarm notifictaion sound

Created on Dec 14, 2010 9:13:50 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

The Play sound file (Windows XP/2003 only) notification method is not supported any more. However, with PRTG 8 you can still use sound notifications via the Windows GUI or the web browser.

For detailed information, please see How can I setup audible notifications (sound files) in PRTG?

Note: Currently, there is a known bug in version .1810 which prevents PRTG from playing sounds in the browser. This will be fixed with the next release.

Created on Dec 14, 2010 9:56:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Dec 14, 2010 9:57:22 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi Daniel, We recorded a customized sound alert for each site. with the Windows GUI I can use a sound alert, but only with one sound. I can't use customized sound for each device.

Will the "Play WAV file" option return?

Created on Dec 14, 2010 10:05:29 AM

Votes:

I am sorry, the Play sound file (Windows XP/2003 only) option will not return. With PRTG 7 you could only use it on Windows XP and 2003 anyway. Future Windows versions do not support this feature any more, so we now removed it completely with PRTG 8.

Created on Dec 14, 2010 12:39:11 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Dec 14, 2010 12:39:41 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi Meirely

You might want to have a look at Custom Notification PTF.Launcher. With this notification you can start an external application on any pc. This way you can play your customized sound alert on any pc you like, without having it to run the Windows GUI.

Created on Dec 14, 2010 1:47:34 PM

Votes:

So there is no way to create a specific sound notification to each sensor?

Created on Dec 15, 2010 7:22:32 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.