What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Check now Mutex timeout

Votes:

I have multiple sensors with a mutex that runs a custom exe that may take 10 seconds to execute. The timeout set to 20 seconds. I often get an error result with message "Timeout caused by wait for mutex (code: PE035)" This error frequently is presented when I "Check Now". What would cause this error? My understanding is that sensors that share a mutex are executed sequentially. Is there a limit as to how long a sensor will wait on a mutex for other sensors to execute? When one does a check now on a sensor with a mutex, does it attempt to execute immediately, or wait for the mutex? It would seem appropriate to queue the sensor to execute as soon as the mutex is next available.

mutex pe035 prtg timeout

Created on Dec 16, 2010 6:02:24 PM

Last change on Dec 21, 2010 9:55:59 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

I would strongly recommend to increase the timeout for the mutex. All sensors are executed strictly one after the other because they have to wait for the mutex to be freed. In your case—I suppose—the waiting queue gets to long and some of the sensors at the end of the line don't get get their turn.

For example: If you press "Check Now" the request immediatly gets at the end of the queue and has no more than 20 seconds to be executed. If there are allready two other sensors in the queue the request probably fails because it takes your Custom EXE 10 seconds to finish.

Best Regards.

Created on Dec 20, 2010 2:51:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 21, 2010 9:50:21 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hey there, Does anybody know how to increase the timeout for the Exchange DAG sensors in 16.3.26.6385?

I am having this timeout issue on about 20 DAG sensors across 4 devices.

Thanks.

Created on Oct 4, 2016 11:17:44 PM

Votes:

I'll talk to the developer and let you know what we find out :)

Created on Oct 5, 2016 11:21:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

According to the developer, we should rather track down the issue as the normal runtime for this sensor is about 1s, max. Is the sensor working when you have only one sensor per device?

Created on Oct 6, 2016 1:58:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.