What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe sensor templates

Votes:

Hello everyone,

just a little overview, we have ~ 300 dedicated servers around the world and we are buying still more. So my problem is that it takes alot of time to configure every remote probe. I spent alot of time trying to find an easy way for me to handle this but without any satisfying solution =).

If i install a remote probe on a server, the probe is going to contact the core server and i can see the probe on the monitoring tool. Now if i decide to select "approve probe" than a custom device will show up with some useful sensors.

Question1: Can i choose which sensors the device will get or add any customsensors ?

Question2: Who is responible for the sensors which are generated through this approval process the remoteprobe or the coreserver.

Back to the point where i can decide to choose "approve probe" i don't click approve probe and choose instead to right cilck and "add device" and generate a device with a devicetemplate. (i have created a template of an existing device with all sensors i need from a existing remoteprobe). This works fine except some times it can't find the correct nic but the 6to4 adapter and the biggest problem is that i cannot add a custom wmi sensor to this device or change which adapter should be choosen.

Question: Is there a solution for the wrong adapter / wmi issue or maybe i did something wrong ?

So maybe there is another person out there with the same problem and maybe a solution and can help me ? If something is not clear especially the last paragraph i can try to explain it more clearly in my native language german.

Greetz

Mario

devicetemplate prtg remoteprobe

Created on Dec 21, 2010 1:35:54 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

first of all, you should always approve a probe, so that it can collect stats for itself, and not start adding groups/devices before actually approving a probe. The sensors in a probe-device are hard-coded and cannot be changed by users.

Best Regards.

Created on Dec 27, 2010 2:40:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.