What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can a folder sensor be set to return data even if in a failure state?

Votes:

I have a folder sensor which is set to go into an down state if there are files in the folder which are more than 60 minutes old. This is working fine. However, if it goes into a down state, no data for that sensor is being gathered/reported until the error condition is resolved. Other than creating a duplicate sensor which is not set to trigger at 60 minutes, is there a way to track sensor data even during an down state condition for the folder sensor?

I still want it to show a down condition if files are older than 60 minutes, so just setting it at a warning is not a good solution.

Thanks! Scott

file-age folder-sensor warning

Created on Jan 5, 2011 8:22:48 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

I am sure that the sensor does continue to gather data! If this was not the case how would a any sensor showing an error ever become green again if the cause of the error is gone?

The sensor continues to monitor!

Created on Jan 7, 2011 7:00:48 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Perhaps the sensor still is "collecting" data, but it does not continue to display data in any of its display channels if it's in a down state. For the folder sensor using the file age as a trigger for a down situation, this would be helpful to see how the other channels' data continues to change even if the trigger channel has tripped. I've worked around this on a temporary basis by having a second identical sensor which does not have the file age trigger set as active.

Scott

Created on Jan 7, 2011 2:04:07 PM

Votes:

you are right, the data is still collected but can not be accessed.

I will crate a ticket and hopefully that will be changed in one of the next versions.

Created on Jan 12, 2011 2:02:34 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.