What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

JMX support

Votes:

We have a number of Java application servers in our environment, typically web applications running in Glassfish/Tomcat.

It would be great to use PRTG to monitor the state of these servers and their applications using JMX.

Does PRTG have support for JMX?

glassfish java jmx

Created on Jan 10, 2011 9:58:54 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We provide a PRTG Mini Probe implementation for JMX monitoring that you can also adjust specific to your needs: How can I monitor Java applications via JMX with a PRTG Mini Probe?

Created on Aug 13, 2014 12:40:53 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

We do not support JMX natively, but using our HTTP sensors or using custom sensors you should be able to monitor your web applications.

Maybe the following links are starting points for you:

Created on Jan 11, 2011 4:42:04 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Thanks for the reply.

However, I would like to monitor some JVM characteristics, such as heap space. A HTTP sensor does not seem to be ideal in this case.

However, PRTG supports SNMP. Java 5 has SNMP support. So, I have enabled Java SNMP support in my virtual machine.

Using snmpwalk, I get a valid response for Heap Memory OID.

snmpwalk -c public -v2c remoteMachine:1161 .1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.145.3.163.1.1.2.11 iso.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.145.3.163.1.1.2.11.0 = Counter64: 149638968

However, in PRTG I get the following error message "No such instance (SNMP error # 223)". I get the same error using SNMP tester.

Created on Jan 17, 2011 9:27:28 AM

Last change on Jan 31, 2011 9:50:16 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Please have a look at the following article: How can I monitor JVMs with PRTG?

Created on Jan 9, 2014 3:42:11 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We provide a PRTG Mini Probe implementation for JMX monitoring that you can also adjust specific to your needs: How can I monitor Java applications via JMX with a PRTG Mini Probe?

Created on Aug 13, 2014 12:40:53 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.