What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Inherit Sensors on multiple Remote Probes on many machines?

Votes:

We have many remote probes on many machines, when a remote probe gets connected to the core server it will arrange itself under the root tree. As we want to use same sensors and therefore the same settings for each sensor - we were looking how to inherit sensors and their settings to all other probes. At the end about 70 remote probes should be configured on the core server - so inheritance of sensors would save many of our time... At the first sight there is no such inheritance, or?

inherit-sensors inheritance multiple remote-probes sensors

Created on Jan 11, 2011 8:10:16 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In PRTG, the inheritance mechanism is intended to inherit sensor and monitoring settings only. In order to easily add a device with specific sensors several times, try creating a device template from this device, which will store the device's settings to an XML file. Then, for each of your remote probes, use auto-discovery and apply this specific device template (Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s) option).

Created on Jan 11, 2011 9:18:01 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks for your quick response. But Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s) will

1. add default sensors in addition to the sensors specified in the XML-template (Do I have to manually delete them, or can this be avoided?)
  2. create as many devices as found under the IP Base class c net. I think to avoid this I have to set the start and end IP to excatly my wanted device, right?

Created on Jan 11, 2011 3:23:01 PM

Last change on Jan 11, 2011 4:45:09 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Device templates functionality as well as the ranges for auto-discoveries will be improved with one of the next releases of PRTG. Please bear with us a little and try the next version.

Created on Jan 11, 2011 4:46:46 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 11, 2011 4:47:08 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Sure, I bear with you ;-) Until the next version is released, I will use Clone Sensor as workaround, it's faster and easier as using the templates and afterwards editing them a lot... at least for my problem.

Thanks again and by the way: PRTG is great work and worth every euro!

Created on Jan 12, 2011 12:17:12 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.