What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Possible to monitor memory usage of a service

Votes:

I am trying to see if it is possible to use PRTG to monitor the memory and CPU usage of a individual service

cpu memory monitor prtg services

Created on Jan 12, 2011 3:00:35 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

You could use WMI Process sensors

Created on Jan 17, 2011 1:36:25 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Even better Patrick. Thanks!

Created on Jan 17, 2011 4:14:12 PM

Votes:

This is possible with new Custom Sensor PTF.ProcessResourceXML

This sensor monitors a process and returns a channel for both the CPU and memory usage of the process. The new XML sensors can return multiple channels, so you only need one sensor to monitor both CPU and memory.

Parameters:

-s=process -c=computer [-u=username] [-p=password|passhash]

-s=   Name of the process.
-c=   Name or IP-Address of the computer running the process.
-u=   Optional Domain\Username of a user account hat has access to the computer via WMI service.
-p=   Optional Password or PassHash of a user account that has access to the computer via WMI service.

Note: This sensor requires PRTG version 8.2

The sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Created on Jan 18, 2011 10:21:23 AM

Votes:

With Windows 10 (and maybe earlier), Windows hosts its services under multiple instances of svchost.exe. I've been able to break them out so the service I'm interested in is running by itself under one instance of svchost.exe only differentiated by a command line parameter, but are there any ideas how I might just track the memory usage of a specific svchost.exe instance among the many? I've also checked and the PID is not consistent though I didn't expet it to be.

Created on Apr 2, 2019 8:04:22 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the WMI Class "Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process" doesn't offer a "Commandline"-field which would allow you to filter for the exact svchost. Therefore I am afraid that this might not be possible to monitor via WMI. You could however build a PowerShell Script that runs on the server that sends it's results to PRTG via a HTTP Push Data Sensor:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/http_push_data_advanced_sensor

Best regards.

Created on Apr 3, 2019 10:54:16 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I may have a different approach. I copied svchost.exe to svchost1.exe and modified the service to use it instead.

Created on Apr 6, 2019 12:24:22 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.