What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I change the default behavior of Ping and Port sensors regarding DNS resolution measurement?

Votes:

Can I disable the new measurement method for Ping and Port sensors that was introduced with PRTG version 8.2?

I would like to revert to the old measurement method so there is no sudden drop of response times in my monitoring data.

configuration dns-resolution measurements ping port prtg registry response-time v82

Created on Jan 13, 2011 11:41:07 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 17, 2011 2:23:57 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 8.2 or later

New Ping and Port Sensor Measurements

With PRTG version 8.2, we changed the way Ping and Port sensors measure response times. For detailed information, please see: After I updated PRTG, my Ping and Port sensors suddenly show shorter response times. What happened?

Change Measuring Method

We recommend using the new method, as these values are considered as more accurate by most users. However, you can enable the old measuring method by adding a new value to the Windows registry.

Note: The setting described in the following only affects Ping and Port sensors. It has no influence on the measurement of other sensors!

Caution: Please back up your system before manipulating the Windows registry!

Step 1

On the system running PRTG core server, please stop the core server Windows service. If you don't, your changes might not be saved. You can stop the service using the PRTG Server Administrator program (Start/Stop tab).

Step 2

• On the system running the PRTG core server, open the registry editor.
  • For a 64-Bit Windows system, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core\
  • For a 32-Bit Windows system, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core\

Note: For PRTG V8 these paths may include an additional V7 or V8 value.

Step 3

• You will find a DWORD entry with the name UseDNSTime.
  • Set its value to 1 to include the DNS resolution time in the response time values of future requests.

Step 4

On the system running PRTG core server, please use the PRTG Server Administrator program (Start/Stop tab) to restart the core server Windows service.

Created on Jan 13, 2011 11:42:22 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Nov 18, 2011 10:34:07 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.