What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Running a Script using the Windows GUI Tools

Votes:

I am wanting to be able to right click on a device or sensor, then select tools and then be able to choose a script to run against that selected device or sensor. I have a test script written and it works while not going through PRTG (it just pings the device) but I cannot get PRTG to run the script from the tools submenu (right click) on the devices.

tools vbscript windows-gui

Created on Jan 14, 2011 3:24:41 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

just to check you are referring to the PRTG WinGUI, correct? Do you get an error when you try running the script through PRTGs WinGUI? Could you please post the script here?

Best Regards.

Created on Jan 17, 2011 1:24:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I am using the PRTG WinGUI and here is the script, which now works once I put it in the right place locally, but I do not want to have to hard code the ip address, I want it as a variable that PRTG would hand off to it:

If Reachable("10.24.0.65") Then
    WScript.Echo "Computer is Reachable"
Else
    WScript.Echo "Computer is Unreachable!"
End If

Function Reachable(strComputer)
'     On Error Resume Next

Dim wmiQuery, objWMIService, objPing, objStatus

wmiQuery = "Select * From Win32_PingStatus Where " & _
    "Address = '" & strComputer & "'"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\cimv2")
    Set objPing = objWMIService.ExecQuery(wmiQuery)

For Each objStatus in objPing
        If IsNull(objStatus.StatusCode) Or objStatus.Statuscode<>0 Then
            Reachable = False 'if computer is unreacable, return false
        Else
            Reachable = True 'if computer is reachable, return true
        End If
    Next
End Function

What I would like to do is where the IP address is hard coded in the script:

--If Reachable("10.24.0.65") Then--

I would like to pass this information to the script from PRTG. So that I could use this tool on any device that has an ip address. This is just a test script, so that once I validate that I can grab the correct info from PRTG and use it, I will build a larger script that has some built in tools for daily maintenance and or changes.

Thanks for the help!

Created on Jan 18, 2011 6:03:51 PM

Last change on Jan 18, 2011 6:06:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Have you tried using the '%host' placeholder from the WinGUI?

Created on Jan 18, 2011 6:09:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, that is what I am trying to work around now, when I put that in the script I get a VB error, is there a way to pass the %host field to a vbscript? I get an invalid character error if I use %host.

Created on Jan 18, 2011 6:19:46 PM

Votes:

You can't use the '%host' (or other placeholders) in the vbscript. You will have to pass it on to the script as a Parameter in the 'Tools'-Settings of the WinGUI, then you will have to 'catch' this parameter inside the vbscript with something like: WScript.Arguments(0) if it's the first parameter.

Created on Jan 18, 2011 6:23:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten,

Once I put that in and had the %host in the argument line of the custom tool it worked like a charm:

dim intIpAddress

intIpAddress = wscript.arguments(0)

If Reachable(intIpAddress) Then WScript.Echo "Computer " & intIpAddress & " is Reachable"

Thanks again for your help!

Created on Jan 18, 2011 6:53:31 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.