What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to "roll-up" the staus of a map?

Votes:

I am looking for a way to create "levels" of maps, such that the top map had both a status and link to each of it's sub maps.

Said another way, is there any way to add a "MAP" as an object onto a different map?

Here is my thought: Map A contains Sensor 1, Sensor 2, Sensor 3

I would like to create Map B and add a single icon/symbol that represents Map A - so if any of the sensors on Map A are yellow/red, then this icon on Map B would be yellow or red. And, if I clicked on it, by default it would open Map A.

I know how to make "static links" to map A via the before/after html, but that doesn't pull up the status of everything on Map A.

Feature request? Or am I missing something...

feature-request map-object maps

Created on Jan 14, 2011 5:49:45 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

it should be possible to place links to other maps simply using the "Your own HTML"-Map Object.

Best Regards.

Created on Jan 17, 2011 1:36:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks.

It's not the linking part that is the problem. Its trying to get a summary of the status of all the alerts on that linked map. I want the icon on THIS MAP to be red if ANY of the alerts on the linked map are red. I think that might take more than a "your own HTML-Map object" - or is there an API that makes that possible?

Created on Jan 17, 2011 2:47:10 PM

Votes:

Dear Tom,

I'm afraid that is not possible. There is no way to determine, if any of the objects on a map has an error-state.

Best Regards.

Created on Jan 17, 2011 4:29:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Tom,

I don't know if this will help or not, but the way I ended up having to do it is to have groups in the devices section of the web interface, so under root I had separate sections for each AP that we have. Fortunately for us the devices under each AP are in a specific ip range, so it was relatively easy to do this.

Then on the map side of the house, I have a Network topology map that shows each AP, I added a status icon for JUST that group. That shows only the statuses of each group separately, then I have individual sub maps for each AP, so then when I click on that icon or status it takes me to that sub map and only those devices and or sensors that occur within that group.

I think with some tweaking you could do whatt you are wanting to do the same way, I guess it would be just backwards to mine...so on my map for AP 1 for example I would have an icon in the lower right that would symbolize AP 2 and if any statuses are alarming there...for something I thought was going to be easy to explain it sure is taking up a lot of space! The key is to select the group and not the devices when adding a map item.

Created on Jan 18, 2011 11:01:32 PM

Votes:

Joshua,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about groups, but I'm not sure that will work in my case. I'm building maps for business unit to see their line of business system statuses, so I think items will need to end up in multiple groups - at least as I currently envision it.

I was hoping that this would be seen as a feature request (creation of a "submap" map-object) and that lots of people would reply "Yeah - we want something like that also!" (hint, hint). (grin).

Created on Jan 19, 2011 1:47:47 PM

Votes:

Tom,

I think a sub map would be a great addition! Maybe make it so that you could tie it in with the tags so the mapping portion would have something to look at to automatically group items together?? So if you were to tag a specific device with "Sales" you could create a map that would be linked to that tag, so any printers, servers, destops, etc. could be grouped together that way.

But until then I hope you get something figured out that will help! Also for future wish lists I would also LOVE to have the ability to sort or search in the windows gui for PRTG, AND the ability to add auto discovery groups that are larger then a class c network!

Created on Jan 21, 2011 2:01:03 PM

Votes:

Auto-Discovery on larger subnets then Class C is actually now possible with version 8.2 of PRTG.

Created on Jan 21, 2011 2:10:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.