What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I identify and specify specific ports I want to monitor on a Cisco Catalyst 4006 switch runni

Votes:

Hello. I am new to using Paessler and I am just setting it up for the first time. I am limited to 100 Sensors and I need to be able to identify specific ports on a Catalyst 4006 switch that has several fiber and gigabit ethernet blades in it.

The Paessler autodiscovery is seeing all the ports, but I run out of sensors before it completes the autodiscovery process. I am unfamiliar with Netflow and other technologies I have been reading about.

I tried to copy and paste some of the output here, but that process does not work in this box. Autodiscovery simply labels each port consecutively with a brief description such as "(033) long haul fiber gigabit ethernet" and "(034 10/100/1000 utp ethernet)" However, Cisco's naming convention for a port on this type of switch is blade#/port# (ex. 1/5, 2/6-7, 5/48, etc.)

My primary objective is to monitor TRAFFIC on specific ports. Please let me know the best way to specify which ports will be monitored and how to eliminate sensor assignment to ports I do not want to monitor.

Thanks in advance to anyone that provides any help.

cisco-4006 identifying-4006-switch-ports specific-4006-switch-ports traffic-monitoring

Created on Jan 18, 2011 1:07:57 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Instead of doing an autodiscovery, do an "Add Sensor" and select "SNMP traffic." Once you do that it should list all of the interfaces on the switch and you can then select the ones you wish to monitor.

It should be pretty easy to identify the ports, but you can simplify the process a little bit going into each port on the Cisco switch and adding a description. PRTG will read the description field which will make it very easy to identify the ports.

Hope this helps.

Created on Jan 21, 2011 4:24:49 AM

Votes:

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will add the descriptions asap. I have to do a re-install of the PRTG, so next time, I will skip the auto-discovery.

Created on Jan 21, 2011 1:59:53 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.