What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Missing Action

Votes:

I see that it is very easy to monitor the stoppage of a continuous presence/process/service.

How would I go about monitoring/alerting if a given event does not occur when the event is randomly scheduled and non-continuous?

alerts event monitor

Created on Jan 19, 2011 1:28:09 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

that is very hard to say. Can you provide more details please?

Best Regards.

Created on Jan 19, 2011 5:02:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have a Windows scheduled task that is supposed to run every 5 mins. I would like to get a PRTG alert when it does not run as scheduled.

If necessary, we can have the task deposit some residue after it runs either in the form of a change to a file/log or into one of the Windows event logs, if that would help.

Created on Jan 19, 2011 6:05:37 PM

Votes:

You could have the scheduled task write or change a "log file" and then check this file with a file sensor in PRTG, and then set a trigger on the "age" of the file, to alarm if it's older than 5 minutes.

Created on Jan 19, 2011 6:14:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I think that could work.

Would the trigger be a "Threshold" trigger and the channel be "Last Modified"?

If so, what does the value in the trigger "Value" field represent (i.e. What does a value of 5 mean as related to a channel of "Last Modified")?

If not, what trigger/channel should I be using? Thanks.

Created on Jan 20, 2011 4:47:15 PM

Votes:

Yes, the trigger would have to use 'Last Modified' and you will probably have to enter the value in seconds, i.e. 300

Created on Jan 20, 2011 4:57:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.