What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Application Monitoring

Votes:

Hi,

I'm trying to monitor an applicatio (rlogsmart.exe)n, which runs as a standalone application, rather than a service. I've tried to setup a WMI Process Monitor for the process - rlogsmart (no file extension), but when the sensor runs, I get an error saying 'The specified class is not valid'.

How can I get the application monitor working? And is it possible to have PRTG launch the application if its not running?

Many thanks

Ben

application monitoring prtg

Created on Jan 19, 2011 10:14:48 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

the error message 'The specified class is not valid' suggest that there is something wrong with the WMI System on the target host. Please see if you can 'repair' this with the tips from our WMI Repair Guide.

You could try using a Custom Script as a Notification on the WMI Process Sensor to restart the application on the target host (but out-of-the-box PRTG can only restart Services if they are not running).

Best Regards.

Created on Jan 20, 2011 12:48:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.