What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Overload

Votes:

After upgrading to .1898 I am getting periodic WMI overload's on my disk space sensors. It is happening to random servers.

Anything I can do prevent this? Before upgrading I did not have this issue at all.

disk-free prtg wmi

Created on Jan 21, 2011 5:19:41 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jon,

please try using longer scanning intervals, and maybe also distribute the sensors over multiple remote probes.

Best Regards.

Created on Jan 21, 2011 8:35:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I already have all the scan intervals set to 30 minutes. It was never an issue before the upgrade.

Created on Jan 21, 2011 9:09:33 PM

Votes:

Does pausing sensors bring improvements for the unpaused sensors? Do you use the clustering feature in PRTG?

Created on Jan 24, 2011 1:58:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have paused the troubled sensors and then resumed them and they will still be in an error state. Over this past weekend I had various disk space sensors go into an error state for 1-2 hours saying WMI overload.

Yes I am and have been using clustering with PRTG installed on 2 different servers in 2 different locations.

Created on Jan 24, 2011 2:00:32 PM

Votes:

Please bear in mind, that all Windows Systems monitored by a PRTG Cluster (with 2 nodes) will have the doubled load in terms of WMI requests, compared to being only monitored by one PRTG installation.
Before 8.2, some WMI Sensors basically have had the same problem (most likely), and they went into a black/grey state, or maybe went into a yellow warning state for the period of one scanning interval. Now with 8.2 there is an explicit error for this condition (which was a WMI Overload before as well, if just hadn't had a name).

Created on Jan 24, 2011 3:56:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So should I remove the cluster?

Created on Jan 24, 2011 4:48:07 PM

Votes:

That might be worth a try, yes.

Created on Jan 24, 2011 5:05:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I removed the cluster and I am still getting these overload alerts on my disk space sensors.

Created on Jan 25, 2011 3:17:53 PM

Votes:

I have since gone ahead and removed the cluster so the installation is now standalone. I have also changed most of the disk space sensors to a 1 hour scanning interval. I am still getting sporadic WMI overload errors from various sensors. I also upgraded to the most recent version (.1930)

Please advise on if there is something else I can do? Is it possible to avoid an email alert being sent out for these types of errors?

The issue is we keep getting false positive alerts and I don't want a real alert to be ignored.

Thanks,

Created on Jan 27, 2011 4:52:28 PM

Votes:

I am also experiencing this issue since the upgrade to 1930 - sporadic WMI overload errors on many sensors; everything was working fine before the upgrade. Please advise!

Created on Feb 9, 2011 11:42:46 AM

Votes:

We've had an issue which could lead to these PE054 errors. This is already addressed and will be fixed in the upcoming version.

Kind regards,

- Volker

Created on Feb 9, 2011 3:59:12 PM by  Volker Uffelmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.