What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why do I get messages for all sensors if the device is down?

Votes:

Currently I've got notification setup on our PRTG system that is working 100%. The only problem is when we've got a device down we get about 20 notifications, one for each sensor. Can you explain to me how can I only get a notification when the PING goes down and not SNMP or anything else?

dependencies notifications prtg

Created on Mar 1, 2010 6:19:28 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 1, 2010 1:05:18 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

usually when you auto discover a device, the ping sensor is the master sensor for the device and all other sensors inherit from the device, meaning that the ping sensor is the master for all others as well.

So that if the ping sensor goes into a down state it would pause all other sensors on the device.

When you manual add a device and sensors these settings are not made.

In the dependency settings of the ping sensor you have to make it the master for the device, and in the settings of the other sensors you should set them to "use parent"

now, when the ping sensor goes down you should only get one message for the device.

Created on Mar 1, 2010 6:20:28 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 1, 2010 9:03:50 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.