What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does Packet Loss channel does not appear in my Ping sensor?

Votes:

I´ve just created several ping sensor and it only created the avr channel while i want to measure packet loss in my network. Im using commercial version 7.2.6.5300

packet-loss ping prtg sensor

Created on Mar 1, 2010 3:12:21 PM

Last change on Oct 13, 2010 1:28:14 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

please check the 'Settings'-tab of these Ping-Sensors. By default PRTG creates Ping-Sensors, with a ping count of '1'. Packet Loss can only be monitored with a higher ping count, so please enter for example '5' as ping count.
You could use the 'Multi-Edit' to change this for more than one Ping-Sensor at a time, if so please do it the following way:

• in PRTGs web interface go to "Sensors"->"By Type"
  • select all sensors where you want to change this setting using the checkboxes
  • then use the 'Multi-Edit' (the little wrench in the upper right corner)
  • in the following tab please enter your chosen ping count
  • Click 'Continue'
    Best Regards.

Created on Mar 1, 2010 3:39:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 1, 2010 3:40:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just a little tweak. I was looking for this for a week!

Created on Sep 6, 2014 2:47:38 PM

Votes:

If I change the ping sensor to measure packet loss, at what point does the sensor error out and report a down state? Would it do this only at 100% packet loss?

I ask because I am having problems with SNMP sensors reporting down on the same device that the ping sensor is not (but where it does show higher than normal packet loss). What is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks.

Created on Sep 30, 2014 4:07:03 PM

Votes:

John, please bear in mind, that Ping is ICMP and SNMP is UDP, usually these two protocols are treated differently and while one fails, the other might "still work". If you want an alarm already below 100 % packet loss (on the Ping Sensor), just set its Error Limit on the Packet Loss Channel accordingly.

Created on Oct 1, 2014 7:51:30 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.