What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Measure Traffic from individual WLAN Clients by SNMP

Votes:

I'm trying to design a Graph which shows the traffic of each registered WLAN Client which are making an FTP connection to a server where PRTG is running.

All Accesspoint are configured for SNMP.

Is there a way to make a Graph about the Speed for each registred client in the WLAN?

Cheers Oliver

prtg snmp traffic-grapher wlan

Created on Mar 1, 2010 5:12:26 PM

Last change on Mar 3, 2010 10:06:21 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

That entirely depends on what the access points provide, as far as SNMP data is concerned. You would have to check at the device's end, respectively with the device's manufacturer if this is possible using SNMP. It is possible the manufacturer provides a MIB file which could be used to discern if it is possible to access the necessary data.

An alternative would be to use a packet sniffer sensor and break down the information on a per IP basis, in case the clients have fixed IPs (see filter rules and channel definitions for details).

Another option would be to query the FTP client directly (in case it supports SNMP).

Created on Mar 2, 2010 3:02:05 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Mar 2, 2010 4:21:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Nice, I was playing whit the filter and filtering for FTP i'm getting a good overview IP based of the deviced:

http://i50.tinypic.com/6q8mxs.jpg

But, i miss a Graph with speed of each ip devices. Is that somehow possible? I only found a graph with the general speed over all filtered devices.

Created on Mar 2, 2010 4:16:36 PM

Votes:

You would need a sensor for each device with a specific filter showing only the traffic for that device.

Those sensors can then be shown in a single graph using a "sensor factory" sensor.

Created on Mar 3, 2010 9:34:51 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 3, 2010 10:05:28 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.