What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor custom event viewer log?

Votes:

I need to monitor a custom log from an application in event viewer. How would I do this?

custom-event event-viewer events

Created on Feb 1, 2011 4:34:14 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please have a look at How do I add an event log sensor for a specific event?. Does this help?

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 1, 2011 5:01:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That only applies to application, system and security. I would like to create a monitor for a custom event log that a software product creates.

Created on Feb 2, 2011 4:54:43 PM

Votes:

If the app registers itself in the log file name, then the event log file should show up at least in the WMI sensor:

{{{LogfileName

Data type: string Access type: Read-only

Name of the file that contains Windows NT events. Standard log file names include: Application, System, and Security.}}}

Please try the following query using our WMI Tester:

Soll mal im WMI Tester probieren:

SELECT Name, LogFilename, Filename, NumberOfRecords FROM Win32_NTEventlogFile

Created on Feb 4, 2011 3:22:35 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hello,

we are interested in the same thing as we would like to monitor the events for Windows Server Backup of Windows Server 2008 R2, however, the log for windows backup doesn't show up in neither PRTG nor the query which you gave us above with the WMI Tester.

How can we monitor Windows Server 2008 R2 Windows Backup events with PRTG?

Created on Dec 9, 2011 11:59:11 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.