What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Vmware Vsphere 4.0 adding host issue

Votes:

I must be doing something wrong here! I am in the process of trailling prtg and all is fine with all devices except my vmware environment. When I try to add the hosts and add a sensor (CPU for example) it always refuses the vmware credentials I put in. Tells me credentials not correct. Now I know these are correct as I can log in the node I am trying to monitor via the vmware client fine. Am I missing something obvious here?!?!?!?

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Peter

host-header sensor soapo-faolain-ofroine vmware

Created on Feb 3, 2011 4:19:51 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

which exact sensor do you want to add to monitor a VMware Host? I'm afraid there is no explicit VMWare Host CPU-Sensor.

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 3, 2011 4:58:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I was just testing importing a vmware host using the add sensor option and then selecting vmware host (using SOAP), it then tried to add a sensor which had CPU graph against it. At this stage it alwasy refuses the vmware credentials which I know are correct.

thanks

Pete

Created on Feb 4, 2011 8:51:37 AM

Votes:

It doesn't matter which sensor I try to setup, it keeps refusing the vmware user credentials. Was just using CPU as an example as that is the one it tries to setup as default when I try to add a sensor for a VMhost using SOAP. I have added the correct vmware user credentials to PRTG. If I look in log for the virtual host it shows as 'cannot logon user @127.0.0.1 no permission' it is as if PRTG is sending across a blank user id. I have tried with two know nworking Vmware users for that host and it does the same thing everytime.

Any ideas? Am I doing something stupid here?????? I am at the end of my testing and just want to tick off vmware monitoring before we purchase.

thanks

Peter

Created on Feb 10, 2011 11:21:18 AM

Votes:

hallo,

just for a test, did you try the root user already?

Created on Feb 21, 2011 12:13:34 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.