What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there anyway to turn off alerts while performing auto-discovery?

Votes:

I would like to use auto-discovery to find new items in our network, and I would like to do an initial scan of everything, just to make sure we have not missed some server or switch, etc.

The problem is, I do not want hundreds of Emails and To-Do's to go out while this is happening. I may want to do auto-discovery, tweak the address settings or the default sensors etc, then delete them all and set them up again to perform discovery , like trial and error, etc.

The problem is, it creates so much chatter when i do this - is there a way to do a silent auto-discover where the admins arent spammed with hundreds of these notices?

alerts auto-discovery spam

Created on Feb 7, 2011 7:42:56 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

as there is no option to turn off the creation of new ToDos (for a good reason, as ToDo Tickets might also transport System Warnings), the only solution would be to disable the email notification for new ToDos.

You can disable the ticket emails for each user in PRTG. This can be set in the account settings of each user.

For older versions of PRTG (PRTG 15 and older), please disable the ToDo-Emails like this:

• Select Setup | System Administration | System & Website from the main menu, and then edit the For New ToDos option in the Email Options section.

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 7, 2011 8:12:48 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 7, 2019 9:50:00 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I understand that, of course you cannot defeat the basic purpose of the application by trying to turn off email alerting at the basic level, it is illogical

The question is really : How can a prevent To-Do's from being created by the Auto-Discovery process?

I do think it is logical to be able to auto discover objects without creating hundreds of To-Do's, like I said, doing a silent Auto-Discovery

If i dont want to create To Do's I should not have to

Created on Feb 7, 2011 8:27:57 PM

Votes:

In relation to the Auto-Discoveries, ToDos are the way of notifying about newly added sensors or devices, which we think is quite important (regarding performance and licensing for instance), so disabling the ToDos is most likely not going to be implemented. I'm sorry.

Created on Feb 8, 2011 1:21:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Why do we also get "Auto-Discovery finished", whenever we add a new device using a template? There is no auto discovery done using the template. That is the whole point of using the template

Created on Jan 7, 2019 7:27:44 AM

Votes:

P.S. "Setup | System Administration | System & Website from the main menu" does not exist.

Created on Jan 7, 2019 7:30:15 AM

Votes:

ahoppe, Thanks for the hint, I've refreshed the initial response to apply to current versions. Can you send me some screenshots on how you apply a new device template to a device? There are different ways to do so, and I'd like to reproduce, what you describe as a bug here.

Created on Jan 7, 2019 9:51:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.