What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I Monitor Hard Drive SMART Events?

Votes:

I had a RAID fail because of multiple drive failures. Problem was reported via SMART but nothing in the OS or PRTG picked it up.

What is the best way to monitor for Hard Drive SMART events?

drive hardware prtg

Created on Feb 8, 2011 5:21:23 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

I would like to know this as well. It seems that it is only possible to use the HDD Health sensor on probe devices. I was wondering if it is an option to install the probe software on each server or if that is not wise.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 8:52:02 AM

Votes:

Technically you can of course install a remote probe on all the Windows machines on those you want to monitor the HDD-Health with this sensor. The only thing you might have to bear in mind, that the probes can't be grouped in the moment in the webinterface of PRTG.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 2:55:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I keep trying to "thumbs up" things on here but it says I need "at least 15 reputation".

So consider this my thumbs up - I'd like to know this as well

Created on Feb 26, 2013 5:25:24 PM

Votes:

Just to let you know, since my last reply here in 2011, we've implemented the WMI HDD Health-Sensor which works on all Windows Targets, that are able to gather SMART-Information via WMI, without the need to install a Probe on each one.

Created on Feb 26, 2013 5:46:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello! I am reviving this thread because several years later the subject interests me too because of the following.

1. "WMI HDD Health" seems to be a bit selective when it comes to SMART values. Some values are always displayed at their correct values (194, temperature on some HDDs), some values are always 100, while others are displaying some values that make no sense. I have a HDD that has 11 reallocated sectors (indicated by other software specialized in SMART reading). Since "WMI HDD Health" sensor displays 100 beside 5, Reallocated sectors, is there any way to obtain the correct value, just like other programs do? (i.e. AIDA64) I know that SMART values are not always standard, but if other software can read it correctly PRTG should too.

2. "WMI Disk Health" seems to consider the mentioned disk as healthy, even if it has 11 reallocated sectors.

Thanks!

Created on Sep 23, 2020 2:44:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.