What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to extend system messages, e.g. when pausing a probe?

Votes:

Hello,

in the probe overview there are columns named probe, status, message and so on. I'd like to add information to the message of the status according to a user interaction. E.g. when a user pauses an alarm, the message field currently shows "Paused by user". Well, I'd like to have the user name shown as well.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance! Christian

message probe status user

Created on Feb 9, 2011 2:44:02 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Christian,

which exact page or tab in PRTG are you referring to?

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 9, 2011 3:44:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

when looking at a page of a single device, I can see the probes. If I pause one, it shows my user name. That's ok. However, when I pause the whole device, the info with my user name is not transfered down to all probes. It just shows "paused my superordinate object" and "paused by user".

In addition, in the log view. E.g. when changing user profiles, it doesn't show who has made changes. It would be good to see this information.

regards Christian

Created on Feb 9, 2011 4:04:34 PM

Votes:

Dear Christian,

I'm afraid it's simply technically not possible to pass along the user name to the sensors if a device is paused and so the sensors. The message "Paused by User" is more a general message in this case, as the sensor only "knows" it's parent device was paused by a user, but not by whom.

The 'History'-Tab should show who made which changes to sensors, devices and groups. Otherwise, it's not possible in the moment.

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 9, 2011 5:17:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

can you please add these additional information of the "History"-Tab as a feature request? It would be nice to see any change done by a user, rule or anything else if technically possible.

kind regards.

Created on Feb 10, 2011 3:10:47 PM

Votes:

Dear Christian,

I can of course do that, but 'technically possible' probably already describes the problem, some objects won't know who made a certain change. I'll put it on the wishlist though.

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 10, 2011 4:34:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.