What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can i monitor cpu usage of a process ?

Votes:

We use the latest Version of PRTG. The former admin have left the company and i am an absolute beginnert at PRTG. At one server we have an process called irisservice.exe which uses sometimes over 90 % of CPU. The irisservice.exe alwasy appears in the processlist. We have at this server an second process called madue.exe which uses every 5 Minutes over 90 % of CPU. This process appears not always at the process list.

I want to create two sensors (for each process) where i can monitor the process. I want to get an message if the prosesses use over 90 %. Thanks for your Help.

Christian

cpu-load process usage

Created on Feb 11, 2011 11:27:49 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Create a "WMI process" sensor. You must supply the EXE filename (including .exe), then PRTG will monitor the process including CPU load.

Created on Feb 11, 2011 11:35:19 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

The Problem ist not to create the sensor, but to get a message if the process i more than 90 %. How can i get a message, if the process is more than 90 % ?

Is it possible to create a WMI process sensor, if the process is not always in the process list ?

Created on Feb 15, 2011 7:45:32 AM

Votes:

Please simply use the Error/Warning-Limits if you want to alarm/send out a notification message if the process used more than 90% CPU.

Please also see How can I monitor the memory usage of Windows Processes without alarms?

Created on Feb 15, 2011 1:15:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.