What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Wishlist feature: Option to hide down status

Votes:

I've seen many other people ask for this feature. It would be nice to have a checkbox option on each sensor to hide it from displaying Down status. Laptop computers are a prime example...I have sensors gathering statistics of available disk space, network card traffic, etc. But when the user shuts down and leaves the office, I see the laptop listed as Down. I'd like to specify that I never care about this device being down, I just want to gather statistics from it when it's online.

down sensor wishlist

Created on Feb 14, 2011 3:52:20 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear John,

our solution (beginning with version 8.2 of the Network Monitor) is to use the "Auto Acknowledgment"-feature of Ping Sensors in combination with a master-dependency with such target hosts. This would pause all sensors monitoring such a particular host if the Ping Sensor fails, and in addition to that, the Ping Sensor will be automatically acknowledged.

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 15, 2011 12:17:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi!

I tried to use that setup, but the "auto-acknowledged" sensor is still shown as error-sensor.

Client monitoring is important to me, too!

Regards, Phil

Created on Feb 15, 2011 2:19:31 PM

Last change on Feb 15, 2011 3:15:36 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

A Down (Acknowledged) sensor will not trigger any more notifications, but as it is still a sensor showing an error, it is shown in the Alarms list. This is by design.

Created on Feb 15, 2011 3:12:53 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 15, 2011 3:13:13 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Hi!

O.k., but I would really appreciate a feature to do real client and printer monitoring. Adding many clients makes PRTG 8.2.1 confusing, as the acknoledged error are shown in every map, in the iPhone-app, etc.

In the iPhone-app, I could not set a filter just to show unacknoledged error.

Phil

Created on Feb 15, 2011 5:37:23 PM

Votes:

Hi!

Will there be any news in PRTG 9?

Phil

Created on Aug 15, 2011 6:56:58 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid this is not planned for PRTG 9.

Created on Aug 15, 2011 4:29:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.