What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Proposal: User Template Repository

Votes:

Is there a template repository that or forum for template exchange? I'm thinking mostly of device templates but sensor, report and map templates would also welcome a good exchange.

For instance, we have built a custom template for our Cisco PIX/ASA firewalls that shows us current and max-ever connections, current number of VPN sessions, number of currently shunned IPs, number of denise per second, etc. Once we had one firewall working we saved the template and now use it whenever we add a new ASA to the network.

Similarly, our default windows template is quite a bit different that what PRTG does if you leave it alone during a discovery. It'd be nice to have a place where people can share their own ideas of what a "standard" set of monitoring metrics are for things like Windows, Linux, SAN switches etc.

prtg share template template-exchange

Created on Feb 16, 2011 2:54:30 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Until we have a better solution there is a knowledgebase article which act as the place to share templates for PRTG with other fellow PRTG users:

Do you have templates for PRTG that you would like to share?

Created on Mar 11, 2013 9:46:59 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

7 Replies

Votes:

Thanks for your suggestion!

If you have a good template for any device, we would be happy to review it and quite likely would add it to PRTG's built-in template set. If that's ok for you, please send your template to [email protected]

Alternatively I could add you as a submitter on our Google Code project where you can upload your template yourself. Please also write to [email protected] about it.

Created on Feb 21, 2011 10:42:22 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

I agree that there should be some "try at your own risk" library of user uploaded templates. One thing that seems to be lacking with PRTG is the user community sharing their own innovations. Instead it seems like we have to wait for official Paessler releases.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 1:13:40 AM

Votes:

My intent in the question was not to add to the built-in templates but rather for users to share ideas and different ways of instrumenting the same equipment.

For instance, adding temperature sensors to the default Cisco Cat6500 template would be truly awesome IMO. However I doubt there's only a small subset of PRTG users who would find that useful; most would end up spending unnecessary time deleting those sensors thereby reducing the usefulness of the template option for them. Likewise, I prefer to count the # of active VPN connections on my Cisco ASAs and have created a template which does this automatically, however I doubt most ASA users really care about that metric.

In the Cacti community you can find multiple user-generated templates for various devices and I found it fun to play with them and see what kinds of things others found useful. I would hate for PRTG to become bloated with lots of templates with tons of sensors most users would end up deleting anyway.

Created on Mar 25, 2011 7:30:49 PM

Votes:

I agree this would be a good idea.

Created on Mar 9, 2013 10:40:16 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Until we have a better solution there is a knowledgebase article which act as the place to share templates for PRTG with other fellow PRTG users:

Do you have templates for PRTG that you would like to share?

Created on Mar 11, 2013 9:46:59 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Is there a repository now? The link is no longer an active page.

Created on May 20, 2019 2:00:05 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you already review the PRTG Script World?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on May 20, 2019 11:13:08 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.