What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to clone or otherwise duplicate existing reports?

Votes:

I have to generate about 100 scheduled reports that are all exactly the same except for report name and the channels included in the report. It would certainly save a ton of time if I could clone one report through the GUI or preferably through the API. Even if I have to manually change the sensors/channels in the report it would still save a lot of time and reduce the chance of errors by not having to create each report from scratch.

api prtg reporting

Created on Mar 2, 2010 5:23:26 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 7.x

Manipulating the Configuration XML File is Not Recommended!

You could, however, edit the XML file containing your PRTG configuration to change multiple objects.

Please note that we do not recommend such file manipulations and that we cannot support you with this. In any case you should keep a proper backup of your configuration and data files!

• Make sure that there already is at least one report created in your configuration
  • Stop all PRTG services (otherwise your changes won't be saved)
  • Locate your PRTG Configuration.dat file (see How and where does PRTG store its data?)
  • Backup and open the file in a text editor.
  • In the file, first note down the number behind max="yyyy" in the 2nd line, this is the current highest used ID
  • Then, search for the <report id="xxxx"> with the appropriate ID from the 'source'-report (which shall be cloned), until the following </report>
  • Then copy and pasted this section, directly following and be sure to increment the ID. It is most important to use a unique ID. Thus use an ID higher than the noted 'max ID' from the second line of the config file
  • Once the step above is finished, please adjust the value max="yyyy" in the 2nd line of the configuration file to the last used and inserted report ID
  • Save your changes and restart PRTG services.

Created on Mar 2, 2010 6:15:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 8, 2010 5:12:47 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

I was just wondering the same. Actually Im surprised for months now that this cannot be done in PRTG. I really thought it was very powerful until I found this glitch.

Im sure allot of people are in the same dilemma. Lets take a basic example where you have to send bandwidth reports, and if you need to create a report from scratch its a nightmare. Not to mention for bigger companies that need to send maybe hundreds or even thousands of reports, but for a different sensor in each report to a different person.

Im not sure if someone reads this but this must be a TOP priority in the next release. To be able to clone reports or copy them so you can then just change the sensor or some channel but maintain the same report layout.

Created on May 1, 2010 7:54:04 AM

Votes:

Has this limitation been addressed in version 8?

Created on Oct 28, 2010 12:08:02 PM

Votes:

Dear Alan,

I'm afraid Reports cannot be cloned also in PRTG 8.

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 28, 2010 3:45:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The ability to clone a report would be very helpful. Add my vote to add this in a future release.

Created on Mar 18, 2016 6:19:41 AM

Votes:

Actually, there is a way to clone. There's a button that I somehow missed :-)

Created on Apr 1, 2016 11:59:22 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.