What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does my Netflow (v9) graph differ to my Interface graph

Votes:

I've configured a cisco router with Netflow v9 and a Custom Netflow (v9) sensor to pick up the data which is working fine. I created a custom sensor so I could define my own traffic types so it is more relevant to what we run over our networks.

What I've noticed is that the bandwidth interface graph for our cisco router is quite different to the netflow graph. In that they seem to be sometimes out of sync e.g. a spike in bandwidth that shows in the interface sensor might show at 2pm and on the netflow sensor it will show maybe 15-30 minutes later. Also sometimes traffic spikes don't show at all on the netflow sensor.

cisco graph netflow

Created on Feb 25, 2011 3:45:41 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Conrad,

is this a Cisco ASA?

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 25, 2011 2:41:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

This is a Cisco 1841 with IOS c1841-ipbase-mz.124-1a.bin

Cheers.

Created on Feb 27, 2011 8:27:38 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

what is the active flow timeout set to in the device and what is it set to in PRTG

the flow data is for the same interface you have the SNMP values for?

A delay between Netflow data and the SNMP graph is absolutely normal. That is the nature of Netflow.

That makes it hard to compare the graphs. Please compare the transfered volume over a period of an hour or a day. That should be about the same.

Created on Feb 28, 2011 6:21:17 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.