What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG speed sensor not following set conditions

Votes:

I have set my PRTG speed sensor to send alerts when the "Traffic in" and "Traffic out" sensors goes above 100 KByte/h for our ASA 5510 outside interface. The alerts we receive are: ASA outside interface(SNMP Traffic) Speed reached (Traffic out) 0.03 KByte/s (OK)

Isn't the alert supposed to only be sent out when the traffic is over 100 KByte for an hour? I do not understand why we receive the alert of only 0.03 KByte/s?

Also when there is huge network traffic over 100 KByte speeds over an hour, we do not get the notification but we can see the PRTG graph showing the spike in network traffic so PRTG sensor is working and monitoring but the speed sensor is not sending alerts out on the condition we set it to?

prtg speed-sensor traffic-out

Created on Mar 1, 2011 11:58:05 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Anthony,

how exactly have you configured the trigger? Exactly what is entered? Can you show a screen shot?

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 2, 2011 1:19:33 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Attached are screenshots of the triggers:

Settings Triggers

Created on Mar 3, 2011 6:10:24 AM

Votes:

Dear Anthony,

I'm afraid you misunderstood the Speed Triggers. The 100 KByte/hour is the speed. Which is a very low speed if you would convert it to kbit/s. This setting is wrong.

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 3, 2011 3:17:10 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.