What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI problem

Votes:

I have two domains A and B with trust between them. My prtg network management is running in B. I am wanting to use wmi monitoring on systems in A. I am able to wmi CPU monitor on windows 2003 server foo in domain A. But I cannot wmi CPU monitor(or any other WMI monitor) on windows 2003 server bar in domain A. I have run the WMItester tool from my management system and it works fine connecting and extracting data from both server foo and server bar. Have done side by side comparisons of servers but can not see any difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

access-denied prtg wmi

Created on Mar 2, 2011 4:36:17 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

it might be necessary to install a PRTG Remote Probe in domain A, have you tried this?

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 2, 2011 5:08:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was hoping not to have to do that since I could connect to some ot the servers in domain A but not to others.

Created on Mar 2, 2011 5:18:56 PM

Votes:

If WMI Tester is working and PRTG not, it's most likely that there's some access rights/domain policies which deny WMI access to a service running under the system account of PRTG's computer.

For a test you can try to run the PRTG probe service under an Admin account. If that works, you can try to find the respective access settings in your domain policies.

Or you install a remote probe in the remote domain as Torsten suggested.

Kind regards, - Volker

Created on Mar 4, 2011 11:26:15 AM by  Volker Uffelmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.