What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem with EXE/Script Advanced sensors when monitored device rebooted

Votes:

Hi,

Having an odd problem. I have some devices I monitor with EXE/Script Advanced sensors, these sensors spawn a perl script that opens and ssh session, collects some output, and returns XML to PRTG. These work fine generally, I use 15 of these sensors per device monitoring different statistics.

However, if I reboot the monitored device, ie, the device is not reachable for some period and then comes back, the PRTG probe never recovers from this. The Core/Probe Health sensor goes to the error state with status along these lines: 275 % Delay (Probe Interval Delay non-WMI&SNMP) is above the error limit of 100 % Delay. Sensors of this probe can not be scanned in their specified intervals. Try longer intervals or distribute load over probes.

The indvidual probes give this error status: Timeout caused by wait for mutex (code: PE035)

Rebooting the PRTG probe device resolves this.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Tim

custom-sensor delay error

Created on Mar 4, 2011 9:37:18 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Tim,

it seems the sensors then wait and block each other when such a target system is down. Can you try adding a Ping-Sensor to these devices and set it up to be the "Master Object for parent" each time (Dependency Setting). This way the Ping Sensor should pause all other sensors on the device, when itself does fail.

Does this help?

best Regards.

Created on Mar 7, 2011 1:43:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you - that helped a lot. I also improved the error handling for ssh timeout in the perl script to make that more efficient/foolproof.

Created on Mar 7, 2011 6:55:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.