What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMware ESX 4.1 host

Votes:

I am monitoring a VMware ESX 4.1 Host on latest PRTG network monitoring software. Every few seconds, I getting a "find entity by UUID" and "find Entity by IP" in the logs on the host. The other day, the mgmt-vmware service crashed on this host. Quesiton: is this (find entity by UUID) behavior normal for monitoring VMware 4.1 hosts? The Mgmt service crash might not be releated.

Any information will help!

Thanks!

4-1 prtg vmware

Created on Mar 8, 2011 9:24:02 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

hallo, behavior is absolutely normal.

what is your scanning interval and how many VMs do you have running on the host?

Created on Mar 10, 2011 3:59:07 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I had a problem with my ESX 4.1 update 1 managment service crashing, It wouldn't connect to Virtual Center, all the vm's continued to run. I couldn't even putty into the host though. I had to manually shutdown the vm's through windows, then reboot the host.

It hasn't happened since I stopped monitoring Virtual Center (and servers inside it) with PRTG. Not sure if it was related, but that seems to have solved the problem (so far).

Created on Apr 29, 2011 5:30:20 PM

Votes:

While I understand that this may be "normal," it's certainly not desired. Is there an way to stop this behavior, short of not using the product? Real information is getting buried by the "find entity by UUID" and "find Entity by IP" log entries that are otherwise useless.

If there is anyway to prevent this, in the future, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Created on Apr 29, 2011 6:47:20 PM

Votes:

Update, I am 99% sure that PRTG was crashing the management server on ESX. I was crashing every 2 - 3 days. I haven't now since I stopped monitoring ESX (12 days now).

Created on May 4, 2011 3:33:01 PM

Votes:

Any update on this? Is there any way to disable this from being shown within the vsphere client?

Thanks

Created on Jun 20, 2011 8:47:23 AM

Votes:

Gents, i would like to make a contribution as well. We have an ESX 4.1 as well, showing all those "find by entity ip" messages. Also the management service kept on crashing every two days. We had installed another monitoring tool, that was causing the same issue described in this thread. After we deinstalled the monitoring tool, the messages dissapeared. I hope we dont experience another vmware mgment service crash again.

I assume this is a bug with version 4.1 (update 2).

Tks.

Created on Jul 3, 2013 4:10:44 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.