What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

In Webstress when I use a URL set from the URL recorder the logins are not replayed properly

Votes:

I have used the URL Recorder to record my login and simple navigation. However; when the script runs the authentication cookie is not valid, Therefore the Forms Authentication routine redirect all subsequent requests back to the login form again.

cookie login webserver-stress-tool webstress

Created on Mar 10, 2011 3:55:27 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

1 Reply

Votes:

There is no standard solution for this situation.

For some types of session management used by the web application/web server you can not simply record a browser session and replay it afterwards.

Cookie Based Session Management

If the session tracking is based on a cookie then it should work fine, all you have to do is enable "Use Cookies" in Webstress' options.

Token or Form Field Based Session Management

But when the session management is based on a FORM field or a part of the URL it will not work. Webstress will record these parameters during the recording session and will replay the session id from the recording session for each simulated user.

For these web applications you must create a "URL Script" manually - which can quickly become quite complex. This article explains how you can extract a session token from a page and reuse it for further requests.

How can I re-use data from the HTML code of a webpage in Webserver Stress Tool?

More Information about Simple URL Sequences and URL Scripts:

Using Simple URL Sequences

Using Custom URL Scripts for Advanced URL Sequences

Created on Mar 10, 2011 4:03:52 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.