What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I merge two devices, keeping their sensors and history?

Votes:

I have two "devices" in PRTG 8 that are actually the same machine. One was set up in error and went unnoticed for some time. Now I would like to merge them into one device with their combined sensors. As the data is still correct, I'd like to keep the history on the sensors whose device I'll be deleting. Is this possible?

device prtg8 sensor sensor-data

Created on Mar 14, 2011 8:01:40 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

it is not possible at the moment to merge two devices into one, sorry.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 8:51:26 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It is possible to add new sensors to one of the two devices combining the data of both with a Sensor Factory sensor.

For example I combined all IIS connections on two webservers:

1. 1:Total Channel(2441,0) + Channel(2485,0)
  2. 2:Mario Channel(2441,0)
  3. 3:Luigi Channel(2485,0)

I hope this might give you a good alternative.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 8:57:57 AM

Votes:

seriously? this seems like VERY basic functionality to be able to move a sensor to a different device. I have a huge mess as I just "upgraded" from traffice grapher 6 through network monitor 7 and now to network monitor 8 and for some reason ALL of my sensors now have their own devices and are lumped into 1 folder. Its going to take hours to sort them all but now your'e telling me EACH sensor has to have its own device and cannot be moved? so if I had 10 sensors for 1 server, now it shows like 10 different servers and there's nothing I can do about that? that's pretty horrible.

Created on Jul 8, 2011 1:33:02 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

the architecture of PRTG 6 and PRTG 7 or 8 are completely different.

While in PRTG 6 the device information was within the sensor, in PRTG 7 and 8 all device information is within the device settings and the sensors get it from there. That is why you can not move a sensor from one device to another.

It is likely that in PRTG6 sensors that you did create for "one" deviices, you did use different device names or alias, that results in several devices in PRTG 7.

For that reason we do recommend to start with a clean configuration in PRTG 7 or 8, considering that there is no need to turn of your PRTG 6 installation.

Created on Jul 8, 2011 1:52:33 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.